Thursday, January 5, 2012

The positive side of Melanoma!

One year ago today they did the first biopsy on the mole behind my right ear and I woke up this morning thinking about all of the good lessons I have learned from my time at Club Melanoma. At that point I decided it would be beneficial to me (and hopefully to others) to list them.

1. Most importantly I learned that I am loved. This is something that I always knew, but when people who love you find out that you have Stage IV Melanoma they have a tendency to verbalize and express it in so many ways.

2. It has taught me to verbalize and express my love for others more fully and openly.

3. It has taught me humility! While going through radiation and interferon treatments friends (some I hadn't even met before) came and did yard work and offered to get me to appointments when my wife wasn't able to. Being the type who is more comfortable doing things for others made this a hard but much needed lesson.

4. I learned that cancer must have made me better looking! These days everyone I run into tells me how good I look!

5. I learned to trust God more and recognize the miracles that occur in my life (this could be a whole entry).

6. I learned that while cancer can do many things to me, it can't cripple love, shatter hope, corrode faith, eat away at peace, destroy confidence, kill friendship, suppress memories, silence courage, invade the soul, reduce eternal life, conquer the spirit, or lessen the power of the resurrection.

7. I learned that my sense of humor does not require me to feel good. Sometimes humor is the best way to rescue people who love you and don't accept this type of news well!

I am sure I have missed some, may have to add some later. I would love to hear from others on this subject.

I love you all and am praying for you
Darryll

2 comments:

  1. Darryll, a lovely list to reflect on, especially numbers 5 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, without 5 and 6 the others wouldn't be possible!

    ReplyDelete